There are advantages and disadvantages to using a steam juicer to make juice in your home instead of using a juice extractor. While juicer steamer is great for some projects, it may not be the healthiest option for juicing.
What is Steamer Juicer
Steamer juicers were created to heat the juice and destroy the enzymes so that you can save juice like you preserve vegetables when you can them and put them on the shelf.
Steam juicing is a fairly simple process. They work by steaming the produce to cause the cell walls to break down and the juice is released into a container that is then drained into bottles or jars. The juice is concentrated because you use the heat to extract the juice from the fruits or vegetables.
Advantages of Steamer Juicers:
While we would not recommend this as a preferred method to make juice, there are some reasons that you may want to try it.
- If you do not have regular access to fresh produce, but want to make large qualities of juice to store for later, this may be an option for you.
- Steamed juice is “sterile” so it can be stored on a shelf for a long period of time without needing to refrigerate or freeze fruit or vegetables to use in a juice extractor for fresh juice.
- Many people enjoy this method to make homemade jellies and jams.
- Juice can be made cheaper than store bought juices.
The Disadvantage of Steam Juicers:
While this may be an inexpensive way to create bottles of juice, there are some disadvantages to using a steam juicer instead of a juice extractor.
- The biggest disadvantage to steam juicers is the heat processing. By using heat to process the fruits and vegetables, you kill many of the health benefits that you gain by having fruit juice in your home.
- These steamer juicers can only juice certain fruits, such as: rhubarb, peaches, pears, tomatoes, berries, grapes, cherries, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, or apples that are soft enough for the cell walls to be broken down easily in the process.
- Generally is used like canning to extend shelf life and cannot be used for a fresh glass of juice since the juice created is heated and then must be cooled and stored for use.
While there are some good uses for steamer juicers, if you want them to make juice to drink, you may want to consider a juice extractor instead. The juice will be usually taste better and be much better for you.