Today more and more people are starting to use a juicing diet as a way to detoxify their body or lose weight. These diets are basically a type of fasting that includes only having water or juices for several days at a time. Most of these diets include creating juices at home from raw vegetables and fruits. Of course, as with any other diet or detoxification program, it’s important that you take a look at both the pros and cons before you decide that this is the right choice for you.
The Pros of a Juicing Diet
You will find that while a juicing diet is really a type of fasting, it offers several pros that a regular fast doesn’t. Here is a look at some of the pros that you can enjoy when you decide to go on a juicing diet.
- This diet does allow the body to have small amounts of calories, carbs, and important minerals and vitamins. This means that you are less likely to end up going in to ketosis. Ketosis occurs when the body begins to burn off the muscle in the body for energy, which is something you definitely want to avoid.
- Another of the pros of a juicing diet is that you will get at least small levels of carbs from the juices. This provides you with some energy and can help to avoid problems with low blood sugar.
- If you do the juicing at home, you’ll find that this diet can be fairly inexpensive. All the ingredients are easy to find in a grocery store as well, making it easy to find everything that you need.
The Cons of a Juice Diet
Going on a juice diet can help detox the body and may even help with weight loss. However, there are quite a few cons that you need to keep in mind before you give this a try yourself.
- One of the cons is that any weight loss that occurs is probably going to be water weight loss. Usually this weight is gained back when you go back to your regular eating habits.
- When you go on a juicing diet, you are not making any long term changes in your eating habits or in your daily life that will help you lose more weight or keep off the weight that you lost on the diet.
- These diets are very low in calories which makes it tough to get all the nutrients that are needed by your body.
- Because of the severe restriction of calories, sometimes ketosis can occur, even though you’re still getting a few calories and carbohydrates. If ketones form in the body due to ketosis, this can lead to kidney failure, gout, kidney stones, and the failure of other organs in the body as well.
While going on this diet for a couple days may not cause a lot of problems for more people, those who have medical problems or those on medications should definitely avoid this type of a diet, especially if they haven’t discussed it with a medical professional. Look carefully at the pros and cons before you decide to try out a juicing diet. Ensure that you can live with the cons that this diet can bring along with it.
Best Juicers to Use:
- Omega 8005 Juicer and Nutrition Center
- Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
- Breville BJE510XL Ikon Juice Extractor
- Omega Vert Juicer Model VRT330
- Hamilton Beach 932 Citrus Juicer